Engraved signet rings
The style and type of engraving is what makes one's signet ring's soul.
Most often, signet rings are made of a classic shaped ring (round, square, oval...) with a flat engraved top.
But it is possible to be much more creative if you aim for a custom signet ring design.
Here, we will make you discover the different types of engraving that can be done in our workshop on a signet ring, both on the central plateau and on the sides of the ring, in silver or 18k gold.
- Intaglio: deep engraving
- 3D Molded engraving
- Different engraving techniques
- Engraving cost
- Custom engraving service
Intaglio engraving on signet rings
For the silver signet rings, the intaglio engraving is easily highlighted by oxidizing the silver, offering a strong black-on-white contrast that enhances the design of the engraving.
Rings engraved only on the top
This signet ring shows us an engraved design highlighted by oxidation of silver in the engraving.
The drawing and monogram deep engraved and oxidized contrast with polished silver
The same principle is applied to this design, the top also with a large surface engraved.
Crest engraved on the signet ring's top
On this signet ring oval, there is a hollow engraving but also relief elements in the middle of the circular engraved area around the initial M of the family to which this coat of arms belongs.
This other project shows an engraving with wide letters and clipping, the engraving background being here again oxidized.
Deep engraving of initials, oxidized in black
This principle of intaglio engraving is also applicable on solid gold signet rings.
Oxidation of gold is not possible, the background of the engraving is left bare or blackened with enamel or resin as we will see later.
18k white gold signet ring with initials engraved
Side engraving of signet rings
The signet rings are often large rings, with amounts offering a beautiful space, it is tempting to take the opportunity to decorate other engravings, as shown by these projects.
This signet shows us an engraving on the central plate and two identical engravings on each of the amounts of the ring.
This other example of a signet ring shows us a large surface engraved in depth on the plate and a symbol engraved on the side.
Each side of the ring is engraved with custom symbols
The principle is identical for gold signet rings, the one presented below shows an engraving of a hollowed heraldic lion as well as engravings of initials on the sides.
The hollows are blackened with resin, ensuring a beautiful contrast on rhodium white gold.
White 18k gold engraved with a heraldic lion on the top and initials on each side, note you can choose your preferred font for your custom made signet ring
For relief engravings, several options are possible depending on whether the choice is on a signet of a single metal or two-tone.
In the case of a signet ring made of a single metal, the reliefs will be molded as shown in these examples:
This signet has a relief molding with intaglio engravings on the sides of the ring.
Another example with this bandeau signet ring whose entire circumference is engraved in relief
Or this championship signet ring that has intaglio engravings and moldings engraved in 3D
The same is true for gold signet rings with intricate designs, as shown by this signet engraved with a relief eagle.
This signet ring with a lily flower molding on the board.
As regards rings with embossed or two-tone initials, the etching can be performed by saw cutting, the product of this cut is then attached to the ring and welded in place as shown in these examples:
This signet ring with the SNCF logo reported cut and welded on a solid silver band ring.
Molded monogram in 18k yellow gold on the top of the ring while both sides are intaglio engraved on the silver
This Celtic ring follows the same principle with a decoration on the top and side plate 18k gold cut and welded in place.
The same applies to rings with welded initials:
Sterling silver ring with initials in 18k yellow gold
Same principle for this silver signet ring decorated with diamond, ruby and sapphire.
Different signet rings engraving style
When we talk about engraving, we must specify what we are talking about.
Indeed, there are different types of engravings and different techniques to achieve, each with its advantages and disadvantages and a cost of its own.
Traditionally, the engraving of signet rings (heraldic art) is handmade by specialized craftsmen: master engravers.
They work with a magnifying glass with sharp tools that allow them to chip the metal to create an intaglio engraving following the client's crest.
- engraving can be done on metal or stone
- it is the most beautiful engraving, deep, durable and offering a secular historical heritage
- The engraving can be extremely fine (it is done with a magnifying glass)
- This is the most expensive technique
- engraving is usually only available in hollow
- the artisans only work forged signet rings, which limits the choice of signet designs.
Some French craftsmen offer their online service for this type of engraving:
- Pascal Doulière est maître artisan graveur
- Un autre artisan graveur
- Gérard Desquand est un maître graveur héraldiste
It is an engraving made by a machine, either at the diamond point or by means of a laser. This allows for elaborate and personalized engravings.
- this type of engraving is very economical
- it's the perfect option for a serial job
- the metal is only scratched in area, so the engraving is not deep
- Many online stores offer this service when you buy a silver signet ring of classic design.
This is the technique we use in our Vivalatina workshop.
A digital model of the ring is made on a computer, allowing us to reproduce both intaglio, embossed and moldings.
The gold or silver signet ring is then obtained by a melting process.
- It is a versatile technique adapted to almost any engraving design
- Leave a total choice of the style of the ring
- Allows engraving intaglio and in 3D relief
- modern technique lacking the history of hand engraving
- the fineness of the details is as small as 0.3 mm while the hand engraving descent below 0,1 millimeter
As you have seen, the cost of an engraved signet ring depends :
- on the metal (silver, 14k or 18k gold)
- how many engravings you need for your signet ring design
- Who (which shop) does your engraving
For our own jewelry workshop, here are our starting prices:
- From $500 USD for a silver signet ring
- From $1000 USD for an 18k signet ring
Of course, those signet ring prices depend on your ring size, the mass of gold and the complexity of your signet ring design.
Custom engraving service
If you're thinking about designing your own signet ring, you should have a look at this presentation of dozens of signet ring designs made in our workshop.
- Discover here a wide range of men's signet ring
- Our collection of 18k gold men's signet ring
- Our custom ring service
- Ask for a quote online through this form