How to wear a signet ring ?
The signet ring is a jewel of ancient origin, historically used by both women and men.
This is one of the few jewels that had a practical utility function, as it served as proof of identification, like today's digital signatures, in order to seal the letters with a wax seal. and legal acts (marriage, inheritance ...).
Example of signet ring used for sealing purpose
If the wearing of the signet ring meets the aesthetic and fashion today, precise rules governed the wearing of signet rings for the nobles during the Middle Ages.
The wearing of the signet ring changes according to the country, the sex and the time.
Here's how you find it, starting with a review of the fingers of your hand :)
Which finger to choose to wear my signet ring ?
First things first, as the adage says:
The rules of the French nobility are:
- Women wear their signet ring to the right little finger
- The men (cadet and youngest) carry their signet ring to the right little finger
- Senior men of their family wear their signet ring in the left ring finger so with their wedding ring
For women, the signet ring can be worn in two ways depending on whether they are married or not:
- in hand-kiss: the engraved motif of the signet ring is turned towards the nail, sign that the person is free
- in battle: the engraved motif is turned towards the wearer, sign that it is in married.
The signet ring is usually worn on the left little finger, or on the right little finger if you are left-handed.
Prince Charles wearing his signet ring to the left little finger
The signet ring is wore on the ring finger of the left hand.
This explained in video
The history of the wearing of the signet ring goes back to Roman antiquity (and perhaps beyond) and the codification remained after the fall of the Roman Empire among the peoples who then inherited this use.
As can be seen, the wearing of the signet ring in the nobility is essential to the little finger (except for siblings), because the signet ring historically used to seal the documents, it was more convenient to wear it on this finger.
Today, apart from nobility, everyone is free to wear it at the finger of their choice.
Hereafter, you can see several custom-made signet rings:
- Our collection of gold signet ring for men
- Our custom made ring service
- Ask for a quote for your signet ring project